Members are the glue that builds sail racing on Lake Michigan!
By becoming a member of LMSRF, you and/or your club/organization provide
support to the sport of sailboat racing in the Lake Michigan region.
LMSRF is the organization that joins the activities of Yacht Clubs and Individual sailors on a lake-wide basis.
Individual Member Benefits
Yacht Club/Sailing Organization Benefits
|1. LMSRF works to unite yacht clubs.
2. LMSRF is growing the number of boats on starting lines through a number of initiatives.
3. LMSRF newsletter Lake Michigan SuRF brings you only the news pertinent to Lake Michigan to your email box.
4. LMSRF is the group that offers training for race committees and judges to provide you a fair competition.
5. LMSRF makes its Grants-In-Aid program available to individual members for clinic, major championship, and instructor training attendance.
6. LMSRF aids in the annual process of scheduling offshore races and regattas to facilitate attendance at premier events at the same time as balancing the need for Area and home club schedules.
7. LMSRF publishes Offshore race schedules by LMSRF Area annually.
8. LMSRF publishes an Inshore One-Design regatta schedule featuring all regattas in the Lake Michigan region annually.
9. LMSRF plans and schedules Youth regattas and clinics for our kids and publishes a schedule of these events annually.
10. LMSRF hosts its LMSRF Youth Championship to develop our future sailors.
11. LMSRF provides an Owners and a Crew Board to place sailors for racing.
12. Individual members are eligible to enter their boats in the LMSRF "Best on Lake Michigan" Offshore Championship.
13. LMSRF conducts the Lake Michigan Match Racing Championship.
14. LMSRF selects and sends teams to represent Lake Michigan at the Richardson Trophy Match Racing Championship of the Yacht Racing Union of the Great Lakes based on their finish at the Lake Michigan Match Racing Championship.
15. LMSRF guides the Area K representation to the biennial U.S. Offshore Championship Regatta for the Lloyd Phoenix Trophy.
16. Membership supports the maintenance of this comprehensive website and the cost of running this organization.
17. Individual members who file an appeal of a protest decision of any Lake Michigan race or regatta pay no Appeal fee for its reconsideration by the LMSRF Appeals Committee.
18. LMSRF is the Regional Sailing Association assigned by US Sailing to represent the interests of all Lake Michigan sailors, LMSRF is the organizing authority that fastens it all together for our lake.
19. Because LMSRF is a charitable 501(c)(3) organization, all memberships, donations of sails, equipment, etc., are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law.
20. LMSRF is the group that most likely has the resources to answer your questions, solve sailing and racing oriented problems, and support the programs and activities that you may have. If you have questions, suggestions, or want to get involved in the activities of LMSRF please contact our office (see "Contact Us" above).
21. LMSRF notifies members of LMSRF sponsored sailing skill and strategy seminars, racing rules seminars, and race management seminars for recreational and racing sailors at boat shows, yacht clubs, and other events.
22. Through the Lake Michigan Sailing Hall of Fame, LMSRF recognizes outstanding support and achievement of its Lake Michigan sailors.
23. LMSRF coordinates development and administration of Offshore handicap sailboat rating rules and systems on Lake Michigan.
24. Provides personnel to promote and run the US Sailing Adult Championships to which its individual members may compete or serve:
U.S. Adult Sailing Championship
U.S. Match Racing Championship
U.S. Team Racing Championship
U.S. Singlehanded Sailing Championship
Championship of Champions
U.S. Disabled Sailing Championship
U.S. Offshore Championship
International Women’s Keelboat Championship
U.S. Women’s Match Racing Championship
U.S. Multihull Championship.
25. Provides personnel to promote and run the US Sailing Youth Sailing Championships and Junior Olympic Sailing Festivals to which its individual members may compete or serve:
U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship
U.S. Junior Women’s Singlehanded Championship
U.S. Junior Championships (Sears, Bemis, Smythe) .
U.S. Youth Sailing Championship
U.S. Youth Match Racing Championship.
26. LMSRF provides racing rules and race management education to clubs and individuals.
27. LMSRF works to help small boat One-Design Class fleets to form and thrive in the Lake Michigan area.
28. LMSRF improves opportunities for sailors with special needs through its Adaptive Sailing Committee and events.
29. LMSRF members gain access to the annual listings on our web site featuring all LMSRF individual members and yacht clubs.
30. LMSRF members gain access to leader contacts.
31. LMSRF members have the opportunity to help develop race, regatta and championship schedules.
32. LMSRF members may join leadership to guide sailing development on Lake Michigan.
33. LMSRF is working on initiatives to make sailboat racing safer.
34. LMSRF members gain a vote in the organization.
35. LMSRF members receive a printable membership card with unique member number.
1. LMSRF works to unite yacht clubs.
35. LMSRF offers a comprehensive listing of educational and training programs in Lake Michigan SuRF for its members, they merely need to be submitted as soon as possible and no later than the 20th of the month before they shall be conducted.